SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2004

Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 05:58:44 -0500

>The originals, manufactured in a time when manufacturers were possibly
>more precise, thorough, the list goes on, are likely to be better than
>the more modern offerings, including Halcyon. I defy anyone to make a
>precise copy of mine (apart from the suspect securing pins, easily
>corrected today) at anywhere near today's equivalent price of what
>they were when originally available.

I must agree with Christian here.  I came across a small stock (not for
sale, I've already given
several pairs away to friends, sorry) of these a few years ago and
picked them up.  Since then
I've seen other copycats and while they appear to be the same "form and
function", when held
up to a close comparison I don't believe they would do well.

Since I don't have them both in hand right now I can't make a hand in
hand comparison,
but, from memory... I believe the originals are made out of a heavier
grade metal and
are overall stronger.

Carl