SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2004

From:
Robert Delfs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 10:29:55 +0800
All,

Sadly, I’m still on the “no-dive” list for dental reasons, and not
diving, but we are chock-a-block with Chinese New Year houseguests from
Hong Kong and Manila, so I have been a bit  busy.  I also wanted to
give plenty of time for people who do not check their digests everyday
to chime in, and I would like be able to give the BIDP people a fairly
firm number before asking them to commit on costs.

What we have at the moment is four persons who describe themselves as
“definite” for a post-ADEX Bali NedFest, plus one possible, as well as
myself. (My SO is also a "possible".)  Most plan to arrive on the 22nd
or 23rd, and leave on 27th, with one person planning to stay longer.

Since the majority are planning just 3-4 days in Bali, we can really
can plan 2-3 days diving together as a group.  This suggests we should
probably only try to do one location together - either 2 one-day trips
to Nusa Penida from Sanur, or else 2 days diving at Tulamben, with a
third full or partial day possible depending on flight times, interest,
etc.

David S.  If you are interested and your name is not on this list,
please let me know right away.

Here’s a tentative schedule:

4/22  Thu 	Some people arrive..
4/23  Fri    	Other people arrive ..
4/24  Sat	Dive day (as a group)
4/25  Sun	Dive day (as a group)
4/26  Mon	Possible dive day or partial dive day
4/27  Tue 	Most of the group leaves Bali

A.  If we’re doing Tulamben, I’d suggest leaving on the afternoon of 23
April.  If people are arriving on a late flight that day, it would be
possible to come straight up to Tulamben from the airport.

That would give us two days (24th and 25th) diving in Tulamben area,
with a return in the late afternoon of 25th, staying in Sanur the
following two nights.  Depending on the timing of the return flight for
most people on the 27th, we could also do a day trip to Nusa Penida on
26th, or else make that a shopping and temple-visiting day.

B.  Alternatively, if we’re doing Nusa Penida, the plan would be 2-3
one-day trips to Nusa Penida, on 24th, 25th, and possibly the 26th.

Important:  On either scheme, if everyone could arrange to arrive on
the 22nd, then we could start a day earlier, adding a third dive day,
which would be nice.

- Tulamben sites include the Liberty Wreck (really a must-do dive if
you’ve never done it), the Drop-Off (badly damaged by silt-out in early
2003, but recovering nicely), as well as several nearby sites
accessible by jukung or vehicle.  Most dives or shore dives, except a
few where we would take a short trip in jukungs (outrigger canoes).

- Which Nusa Penida sites are accessible depends on tide and current
conditions, but would probably include SD (Sekola Desa), Ped,  Crystal
Bay.   Manta Point may be possible, depending on sea conditions.   The
boat leaves from Sanur around 8:30, first dive at Nusa Penida around
10:00, lunch break on the boat, second dive after lunch.  Mostly
two-tank days, but three dives can be arranged.  If we’re only doing
two dives, we would be back in Sanur around 4:00 in the afternoon, or
else 5:00-5:30 on a three dive day.

For those who have not been here before, I think Tulamben offers better
odds of providing some memorable dives.  One person who has been here
before did express a strong preference against a “Tulamben only” plan,
but is the same person who will be staying longer, so there would be
opportunities for him/us to do some dives at other locations.

But I'm easy with either alternative - it's really up to all of you.
If anyone else has a strong preference or alternative suggestions,
please let me know.

Robert

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:00:35 -0500, Michael Doelle wrote:

>Any news from the oriental, uhhhh eastern  front?

Tabula International Ltd.
Email:  <[log in to unmask]
Phone:  +62 361 282-743
Website:  www.tabula-international.com