SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2004

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:26:42 -0500
Lee Bell wrote:
> David Strike wrote:
>
> *snip*
>
>>BTW!  Does anybody know any diving close to New Orleans?  There's a very
>>slight possibility that I might be there next month to attend the

You'd have to come back east to at least Gulf Shores, I think.  There is
some limited oil rig platform diving, but the "Mighty Mississippi"
muddies the waters for at least 100km in every direction.

On the other hand, just being in New Orleans is ~10 feet below sea level.

The Flower Gardens as Lee mentioned are the most popular spot, and the
northernmost coral formations, IIRC, in the Gulf of Mexico.

If you come in from the airport, you'll pass within a half mile of my
old house in Metarie, La Place street off of West Esplanade.

Jeff