SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2004

From:
Michael Doelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:29:53 -0500
DH>> OTOH, I come from a long line of grouches. Maybe that
> explains why everybody scatters after a deep dive!<

I can relate to that. My family name was traced back to 'Tell' (as in the
mythical Swiss guy who was actually invented by Friedrich Schiller - the
crossbow and apple guy, in case the name doesn't ring a lee).

And Tell in Old High German apparently means something like 'the impulsive
one'.

Looks like I come from a long line of divers from way back in the Dark Ages
(TM).

MT>BTW!  Does anybody know any diving close to New Orleans?  There's a very
slight possibility that I might be there next month to attend the
Underwater
Intervention conference!  (Very, very slight!  I think that I managed to
talk my way out of being asked to attend!) :-))))<

Not close to NO, but pretty damn good: the Texas Flower Gardens. Did that
with Joe Childs and Ray 'Sir, yes Sir' Jones   a few years ago.

Very highly recommended. MV Fling (and another one) did it back then.
Probably still do. Hammerhead territory at certain times. But not when we
were there in October. Very weather dependent. You don't know if they'll go
until 1pm on the day of departure.

If the T-heads are not there, there are fantastic undamaged coral
formations in the 25-30m range at the Flower Gardens. Nothing shallower
there - or deeper. On the way back an oil rig gets visited. Bring the tools