SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2004

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:46:46 -0500
David Strike wrote:

*snip*
> BTW!  Does anybody know any diving close to New Orleans?  There's a very
> slight possibility that I might be there next month to attend the
Underwater
> Intervention conference!  (Very, very slight!  I think that I managed to
> talk my way out of being asked to attend!) :-))))
>
> Strike

A visit to the Flower Gardens and Stetson Rock are your best bet and a
liveaboard out of Freeport, Texas (on the border of Louisiana south of
Houston) will take you there and back on a short three day trip.

http://www.tomsscuba.com/fgarden/fgdescription.htm
http://www.gulf-diving.com/
http://www.tomsscuba.com/fgarden/fgboat.htm

The next closest is Cozumel (2hr flight) or Florida (3.5hr flight)

While I doubt that it compares to Cozumel or South Florida, I think you've
overlooked some potentially good diving and maybe even some history that
combines with diving.  I'm guessing on part of this, so confirm everything
before making plans:

1. Ray Jones lives and dives in the Panama City Beach portion of Florida
which I think is less than a 3.5 hour flight from New Orleans.  It may be
less than a 3.5 hour drive.  Ray seems to think diving in his area is pretty
good.  It doesn't hurt that he has a boat as well.

2. If there's good diving in the Panama City Beach area, there's probably
some good diving in the New Orleans area.   What I can't be sure of is how
hard it is to get away from the effects of the Mississippi River's entry
into the Gulf.  It's worth checkiing.

3. I don't know how accessible it is from New Orleans, but there are
periodic flights out to Fort Jefferson, in the Dry Tortugas, from at least
two locations in S. Florida.  I don't know whether you can do the same from
New Orleans or if there is a plan that allows diving rather than snorkeling,
but if there is, the history involved with the Fort, combined with some of
the most pristine reefs in Florida, makes this one worth checking into as
well.  There are also liveaboard dive boats that service the Dry Tortugas
for those that have the time.  The one I use, which I think Ray has used as
well, can handle three day trips, maybe less.  If you do one of these, try
to avoid trips booked by spearfishermen.  The spearfishing grounds are not
the better sightseeing sites . . . unless the sights you want to see are
sharks.

If you happen to be passing through S. Florida, you're also welcome to spend
some time at the Bell house, even when we're agreeing to disagree.  I can't
promise great diving weather, but I can promise a dinner cruise aboard the
Island Girls . . . assuming, of course, that I'm not on the road somewhere
far, far away.  I'll be in Houston at least 3 days next month.  Even an hour
layover should net you a drink or two.

Come to think of it, a stop off here may net you more than that.  I have a
spare stainless plate/27 lb wing setup as well as a regulator you should
feel right at home with.  I believe it's called a Sea Hornet.  You'll have
to bring your own Jet Fins.

Lee