HP3000-L Archives

December 2003, Week 4

From:
Brice Yokem <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brice Yokem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Dec 2003 22:04:28 -0500
I don't recall murdering 10,000 Iraqis at all.  What you are calling
'murder' is really 'casualties of war', which is a different thing
altogether.

Mr Barker, your statement that there is a lot of grey area in the Middle
East is worth noting.  It has been a hotbed of violence since before
biblical times.  International politics is mostly amoral.  The fact is,
our forces over there are not behaving like a conquering army, you can bet
if it were Saddam's troops over in the USA, they would not be acting
as they do.  This is one of my objections to the criticism of our
participation in the conflict over there, it seems the critics are
using a microscope to try to find something wrong.  Since they seem
to have to try real hard to do that, it speaks well of our forces,
because in a war zone, it should not be that hard.

I know why there are people willing to sacrifice their life to harm
others.  These people have been exploited in a time of grief to do this.
They are emotionally vulnerable, and thus can be manipulated.

The way we treated the American Indian was sad, but show me where anyone
else treated a conquered people any better during that period?  As far
as the Palistinians being ejected from their land, I don't think the
situation is as simple as you try to make it out.

As far as Israel's 'murder' of Palistinians, I already know how you
define 'murder'.

Our detention of prisoners of war during wartime in Cuba is standard
operating procedure.  Suspending Writ of Habeous Corpus during wartime
is not new, or unusual.  Wartime requirements put an unacceptable
burdon on the State to require due process.  Although I will share
your concern to the extent that I want to be assured this will not be
a permanent situation.

OK, I will accept that you think America is not perfect, but you need to
accept that the wrongs we are perpetrating are being blown out of
proportion, versus the people opposing us, which are being minimized.