HP3000-L Archives

December 2003, Week 4

From:
Greg Cagle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Cagle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:03:14 -0600
 Well said. Let me point out a few things in the Fox News article
that looked like opinion to me:

> The political overtones are obvious, not just in terms of the Bush
> administration's successes

I would have added "or failures" to this statement. That would make
it balanced.

> Some were bothered simply because this indicated that Iraq was being
> handled well

A clear shot at people who don't think Iraq is being handled well
and irrelevant to a discussion of murder rates in Baghdad. And there
are no supporting facts or data.

> The claim did not sit well with those pushing to renew the assault
> weapons ban (search) in our own country.

A clear shot at gun control types. There was no need to bring this
into a "factual" discussion of the murder rate in Baghdad. Again there
are no supporting facts or data.

I would imagine the reason these statements are included is to
inclusively support the positions (Bush is doing a good job,
Iraq is being handled well, gun control advocates are wrong) with the
actual facts used to prove the actual point. Which is well made
and proven with the facts as you note. But Lott really didn't
have to drag along the hot button side issues.

- Greg

--
Greg Cagle
gregc at gregcagle dot com