HP3000-L Archives

December 2003, Week 3

From:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:50:48 -0500
Russ Smith wrote:
> I googled the author's name, went to his site and scanned a few of
> his other articles.  I haven't been able to figure out how or why he
> calls himself a democrat yet, though; but, it certainly explains why
> Brice would be willing to quote him.

I guess the Democratic party is not totally monolithic.   There is a
dwindling conservative population that Mr. Card seems to identify with which
he wrote about in this essay about Sen. Zell Miller (GA-D):

http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2003-11-23-1.html
Though Miller promised to represent all Georgians, not just the Democrats,
no one thought this nonpartisanship would extend to the organization of the
Senate. And when Republicans tried to woo him into joining the Republican
Party in order to get back control of the Senate after Jeffers (sic.) of
Vermont changed coats, Miller politely but firmly declined their most
extravagant offers.

He's a Democrat, period.

But, just as many of us have spent the past dozen years as members of the
Embarrassed wing of the Democratic Party, Zell Miller finds himself in the
frustrating position of belonging to a party that seems grimly determined to
destroy either itself or the country -- or maybe, if they can manage it,
both.