HP3000-L Archives

December 2003, Week 3

From:
Michael Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 08:00:31 -0800
Shawn Barnhart writes

-----Original Message-----
From: Shawn Barnhart [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 7:03 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Can you connect a DVD-ROM drive?

 We have a HP3000 running MPE 5.5 PowerPatch 7 and due to some changes
at a
data supplier could really use a DVD-ROM drive in the HP.

Is this possible?  The machine right now has a CD-ROM drive, but
according
to some third-hand information the admin of the machine was given, the
CD
drive isn't usable in the HP and is only worthwhile for some bootstrap
operations.

Personally I find this a little dubious, particularly for a system with
decent SCSI support.  Wouldn't a DVD-ROM drive just be seen as a larger
block-mode device, the way most UNIXes see it?

Note:  I am not the admin of the machine, and I recognize that the
HP3000
and MPE are a horse of a different color, so maybe it wouldn't work, but
it
would stike me as odd that it wouldn't.
----------
A DVD-ROM is supported on MPE from 5.5 on.  See below for support
information.  However except for operating system releases, there is no
other use for it.  MPE software suppliers have never supported software
delivery on CD-ROM or DVD-ROM.  HP tried a few years ago to force the
issue with MPE and was delivering CD-ROM drives with every machine.
That effort fizzled and DDS tape is the only widely used media for
delivering MPE.  I may be wrong, but new users of MPE can't sign up for
CD-ROM, only the existing CD-ROM users can still get CD-ROM MPE
releases.

Configuring a DVD Rom on a HP3000
DocId:  MPEKBRC00001908         Updated:        11/6/02 2:34:00 PM
PROBLEM

What is the Sysgen ID used to configure a DVD Rom, part # A5220A.
Note: other Product numbers for this device are:

 0950-3398 DVD-303  SCSI Slot-Load DVD-ROM Drive Unit
 C4318SZ opt 108    Highlander Factory Rack
 C4314A             Highlander Deskside Standalone
 C4315A             Highlander Field Rack

A5220A is considered the "Embedded Product Number"

CONFIGURATION
MPE/ix C.55.07 or greater
RESOLUTION

To configure the DVD into Sysgen, can use either the ID
DVD-ROM-DVD-U02 or HPA1999A.

Both IDs bring in the same driver which is used for this device.
The DVD id doesn't bring in any new functionalty, but was named
differently to identify that that this driver is also used for the
DVD-ROM.

Mike Berkowitz
Guess? Inc.