HP3000-L Archives

December 2003, Week 1

From:
Greg Stigers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Stigers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 11:48:57 -0500
> I believe that churches that are politically active should lose their tax
> exemptions.

They do, when that political activity becomes a certain percentage of their
total activities, or amounts to endorsement of a party or candidate.

Per Fred's comment, why are churches, and all other recognized religious
institutions, not taxed? It's easier to be dismissive, than to revisit the
reasons why the founding fathers made certain decisions.

I watch with wonder the hypocrisy of liberalism in the Commonwealth of
Massachusetts, where charitable giving is the lowest in the nation. We
enjoyed a charitable deduction for exactly one year here in MA; then the
legislature reversed itself, and charities failed. We spend the most money
on state medical assistance, for which there is no constitutional right.
Then we fail to fund public defenders at even the mere pittance they are
paid, in spite of a constitutional right to a fair trail. We have forgotten
some of the most basic ideas of how things are supposed to work, what things
should be strengthened, and what things should be done poorly, if at all.

Greg Stigers, MCP
this space available for self-serving acronyms