HP3000-L Archives

December 2003, Week 1

From:
"Shahan, Ray" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shahan, Ray
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:39:33 -0600
Nice explanation, Duane.  There is a piece missing, however, that I picked
up from the IBM side of the house.  The virtualization of the hardware will
also be a situation where many companies "share" the same hardware (CPU),
and each uses the hardware at an opportune time.  This would eliminate
paying for more horsepower than you need, yet having all you need when you
actually need it.  So, company A on the East coast uses CPU J in Oklahoma at
6:00 am EST, then company B on the West coast used the same CPU J in
Oklahoma at 6:00 am Pacific time.  Assuming a 3 hour process time window,
company A and company B both get the three hours from a dedicated CPU
without any impact to each other, and neither had to pay the full price for
the CPU.

Yes, it will indeed happen, and it will be the next revolution in IT.

Ray Shahan

"There is so much good in the worst of us,
and so much bad in the best of us,
that it behooves none of us
to talk about the rest of us"
                  --Robert Louis Stevenson?