HP3000-L Archives

December 2003, Week 1

From:
Goetz Neumann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Goetz Neumann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 03:33:40 -0600
 Bob J. wrote:

> Simpkins, Terry wrote:
>
>>If we "split the bus" on the array mechanism into two separate groups of drives, and
>>then connect a separate controller to the other half of the bus.  You can't have the
>>hardware mirrored drive on the other controller, (I'm told you can do this on UX).
>>It must be on the same path as the "master" drive because MPE sees them as a single
>>device.
>

> That isn't exactly accurate. Actually ALL of the drives are accessible
> from EITHER controller but of course via different addresses. Your
> installer should set the DEFAULT ownership of drives to each controller.
> To improve throughput each controller should share the load. Only one
> controller is necessary to address ALL of the drives.......but....where
> MPE falls short is not having a mechanism for auto fallover of a failing
> controller.

Just a few words of (non-thursday riddle, humour, commandments or
enlightenment) facts :

1) Mirrored Disk/iX does NOT work with the MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET.

2) There *is* a mechanism in MPE for 'fallover' it is called HAFO -
    High Availability FailOver.  Unfortunately for the OP (original
    poster) it is only supported with XP and VA arrays and NOT on
    Nike's or Autoraid's (because it does not work with those).

Goetz.