HP3000-L Archives

December 2003, Week 1

From:
"Emerson, Tom" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Emerson, Tom
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 14:39:29 -0800
> From: Erik Vistica [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
>
>  One of those is close.
>
> Emerson, Tom wrote:
> >>From: Erik Vistica [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
> >>A man has a 'package'. The man is in danger. What is in the package?
> >
> > Hmmm... "danger" -- rather nebulous term -- any or all of
> these might apply

[snipped list of things that are argueably "dangerous to have on hand"]

As I was thinking of these, this was actually one of my favorites:

> >   -- an INCORRECTLY packed parachute... [think about it...]

however this is really a case of what is NOT in the package (though if you want to word it as "in" the package, you could say "ANYthing other than his parachute")

BUT, if you really want this to be "twenty questions" style, here are a few that might help narrow the search:

  -- is the item something traditionally thought of as "dangerous" by itself?  [i.e., most of the things on my list -- I'm going to presume the probable answer is "no", only because a "yes" answer doesn't really convey any information BECAUSE it could still be "anything on the list", and the joke simply wouldn't be "funny"]

  -- is the "danger" life threatening?  [dunno if a "yes" or "no" really helps, but it might direct future questions]

  -- is the "danger" due to the situation?  i.e., the "parachute" answer is only dangerous if you are in the process of falling from the sky...

  -- is the "danger" due to someone else's interpretation of the fact that HE HAS the "package"?  (i.e., the various answers regarding stolen property, summons/warrents/divorce papers, "evidence", etc.)

  -- is the answer "family safe?"  [well, actually, I'm presuming this is the case -- save for the socio-political posts, most everyone here keeps things rated "G", (with the pirate bit edging towards PG-13, though I'm sure my 5-year-old nephew would "get the joke" since I think I heard his dad tell it about three weeks ago...) ]