HP3000-L Archives

November 2003, Week 3

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:07:08 +0000
In message <87372ECCA42DD3118E3200508B2E1146022D5968@GGEXSF>, Tracy
Pierce <[log in to unmask]> writes
>Hey, on-topic!
>Does anybody have the quick answer for making
>SETVAR HPAUTOCONT TRUE
>really work?
>
>I have a command file...
>
>comment age the vms#done fileset, 9=oldest.
>setvar hpautocont true
>purge vms9done
>setvar _agefrom 8
>setvar _ageto 9
>while _agefrom > 0
> rename vms!"agefrom"done,vms!"ageto"done
> setvar _agefrom _agefrom - 1
> setvar _ageto _ageto - 1
>endwhile
>
>The purge fails and we continue, but after the first rename fails, that's
>it.  did I miss something?  maybe something betwixt cierr and ciwarn?
>here's an (interactive) execution (no files present!):
>(YODA/VMS/T)/agefiles

Why can't I see the setvar just here, and the ones below?

>purge vms9done
>File "!" not found.  No purge done. (CIWARN 383)

Why "!"?

There's not a leftover file equate in force here, is there?

>rename vms8done,vms9done
>Open failed on file "!".  Not renamed. (CIERR 372)
>NONEXISTENT PERMANENT FILE  (FSERR 52)
>(YODA/VMS/T)/
>TIA
>
>Tracy Pierce
>
>FWIW, MPE Help (under CONTINUE) says
>     YOU MAY USE THE HPAUTOCONT VARIABLE TO PRODUCE A GLOBAL
>     "CONTINUE."
>and later...
>MANUALS :  APPENDIX A, "PREDEFINED VARIABLES," OF THE MPE/iX COMMANDS
>REFERENCE MANUAL (32650-90003)
>where it says
>"enables (TRUE) / disables (FALSE) the automatic CONTINUE feature."

I don't have an HP3000 here right now to try it on, but I have a couple
of things for you to try:

(i) put a 'real' CONTINUE in front of the Rename. Does that change the
behaviour? If not, then it's not that the AUTOCONT isn't working, it's
that no CONTINUE will work there.

And if that's the case:

(ii) Put a couple of ECHOs after the WHILE loop. Do these get executed?
If so, the CONTINUE/AUTOCONT Is 'working', but the behaviour of an error
in a WHILE loop is to cause the loop to be exited.

That would seem undesirable, though...

--
Roy Brown        'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
Kelmscott Ltd     useful, or believe to be beautiful'  William Morris