HP3000-L Archives

November 2003, Week 3

From:
James Hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 04:16:24 -0800
Hello folks @ 3000-l,

RE: 6.5 PP2 to 6.5 PP3

Yes, the recommendation to put a 10 second pause in your network shutdown job between any commands which shutdown socket applications (including :nscontrol stop and the termination of INETD) and the ":netcontrol stop" is a sound one.

2nd... I don't typically make use of the ":nscontrol abort" command... my sequence in my network shutdown job is to first shutdown all socket applications and services (including internet services "INETD" and ns services "NSCONTROL", then pause 10 seconds and then perform a ":netcontrol stop".   Any sessions not shutdown by the ":nscontrol stop" should be terminated by the ":netcontrol stop".

If I intended in only taking down the NS Services and not the network, then I would first perform a ":nscontrol stop", delay to check to see who is still logged on by performing a ":nscontrol status" and if necessary then perform an ":nscontrol abort" to remove additional NS Service users/logons.

Regards,

James Hofmeister
Email: <first>.<last>@hp.com
Hewlett Packard - Global Solutions Engineering (WTEC)
P.S. My Ideals are my own, not necessarily my employers.