HP3000-L Archives

November 2003, Week 3

From:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 11:17:13 -0500
Evan Vaala wrote:
> When we had 7933's and 7925's I never had to do a showjob from my
> office to tell if a very i/o intensive job was done.  We have a
> raised floor in our computer room and the sound of the heads
> performing the i/o would resonate out to my office, through a brick
> wall and steel door.  When it got quiet, I could assume the job was
> done.

A story from the Michigan wake:
A good friend of mine did some work at the Port of Tacoma (I'm pretty sure).
When they built the computer room, they insisted that the 7933s had to be
placed on a floor that would absorb the shock in case a ship hit the dock.
As it turned out, the floor kept the drives from vibrating the ships out to
sea.  ;-)

> It is a little late now, but we had vendors of ours that private
> labeled "Point Beer" from Stevens Point Wisconsin and gave away to
> customers.  Had I been thinking ahead of time, I should have checked
> into costs of labeling it "MPE Brew" or "HP3000 Nectar", etc... and
> also shipping to the various locations.  So sorry...

Ah, Point Special.  I will be staying near Stevens Point this Thanksgiving
while visiting family.  I would invite you all to the family business in
Mosinee, Wonsils Bar, to imbibe some 'HP3000 nectar' but the bar closed when
my Grandmother retired.  :-(

Mark W.