HP3000-L Archives

November 2003, Week 3

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:04:12 -0800
Patrick writes:

>This "Adaptive Enterprise" sounds more like a Business Rules
>application to me where you program your processes and
>externalize the business rules so that you can quickly
>respond to business changes without changing programs or processes.

If you apply what you are thinking about, and what a lot of
us software developers, have thought about WRT well defined
software engineering to hardware and how hardware is provisioned
for the most effective use of resources then you have the
"HP Adaptive Enterprise".

This is an area of great complexity and mind-blowing research
that stands to redefine what a lot of us think is a server
computer system and how software is configured and deployed
in this environment. Granted, this affects the large enterprise
much more than than the SMB.

IBM has a similar inititiave (Utility Computing) and so does
Sun (N1).

We are very early in the deployment of 'useable' components so
the talk is very much 'marketing hype', but all three vendors
are realistically committed to the concept. It will happen and
things will change. I just hope I can retire before I have to
deal with it :-)

duane percox