HP3000-L Archives

November 2003, Week 3

From:
Carol Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:38:30 -0500
Well, my experience is a bit obsolete, but I'll second the Symbol
recommendation - especially in a contrary environment!  The application I
designed and deployed in a large poultry-processing facility (wet, cold,
etc) worked beautifully, and did what many people thought couldn't be
done.  The guns really made the difference in whether it worked or not, and
it WORKED!
The only caveat was that on the shipping floor, where the working
temperatures averaged below 30 degrees F, I installed heat lamps at each
scanning station, directed on the gun rests.  This permitted a brief on-
site warmup, which let the guns reliably perform at lower than specified
temperatures.
Incidently, this was entirely 3K-Image-Transact, ran three processing
facilities, two distribution centers, three additional shipping locations,
and was fully integrated with the sales, forcasting, and financial
systems.
Ah well....  those were the days!

best of luck!