HP3000-L Archives

November 2003, Week 3

From:
Charles Finley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Finley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:23:19 -0800
Disk drives are really inexpensive and so is DVD media.  What we have been
doing is adding high capacity segate drives and doing a compressed
store-to-disk.  We then have a little Java application that logs on to the
HP 3000 using telnet and ftp's the compressed store to disk file to a PC.
We have software on the PC that can place the backup image on a DVD (4.7GB
per DVD).  It has the ability to span both devices and media.  This whole
solution is simple and cheap.

Therefore, we have three levels of backup.  The first is the store-to-disk
image, the second is the 120Gb drive on the backup pc server and the third
is DVD.  Moreover, we have the PC setup so that it can FTP the store-to-disk
image offsite.

Charles Finley
Transformix Computer Corporation
(760)-439-3146