HP3000-L Archives

November 2003, Week 3

From:
Carol Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:09:34 -0500
Brice -
as a matter of fact, even a living will can be tossed aside
should 'immediate family' take it to court.  Some states evidently don't
recognize such 'designations' of partners, even without 'immediate family'
taking issue with it.  Even when the family is supportive of the
relationship, some hospitals have rules against unwed partners visiting, at
least in ICU or other restricted environments.

It's all too easy to empathize!  4 years ago, when I found my partner dead,
I had to wait 72 hours to claim 'common law' to obtain custody of his body
for cremation.  That was just in case someone with a higher claim showed
up, even when I informed the authorities that I had no knowledge of his
family, let alone contact information.  As luck would have it, some time
later, I was contacted by some people who evidently were family members,
and they threatened to take me to court for having his body cremated!  When
the woman who turned out to still be married to him showed up and tried to
use my claim of common-law to get ownership of MY home, as survivors-
rights, I just about lost it.

So....  yes, i understand...  single, straight, childless, and nearly a
senior citizen, I will readily stick my neck out for people deserving equal
protections under the law.