HP3000-L Archives

November 2003, Week 1

From:
James Hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 23:03:40 -0800
Hello All,

RE: FTP problem with quotes in the file name ?

I see 2 problems with FTP and file names which contain blanks.

1) The MPE/iX posix implementation does "not" support file names
   which include <blank>.

   This will prevent MGET with file names which include <blank>
   from being pulled from a host which does support <blank> to a
   MPE machine.

   MPUT of course will not support transfer from MPE as file
   names which include <blank> can not exist on a MPE/iX system.

   Implementation of support for file names in Posix file space
   which contain a blank character would be considered an
   enhancement request and as such would not be implemented in
   this stage of the MPE/iX life cycle.

2) The FTP/iX user interface PUT, GET, RENAME, DEL commands and
   others do not support file names which contain <blank> and
   does not appropriately support the use of quotes to make it
   possible to transfer the file names which contain <blank>.

   The FTP/iX parsing routines currently identify a <blank> as
   a termination character irrespective of a quote character in
   the command stream.   A change to the FTP/iX code will
   require significant redesign of the command parsing routines.

Regards,

James Hofmeister
Email: <first>.<last>@hp.com
Hewlett Packard - Global Solutions Engineering (WTEC)
P.S. My Ideals are my own, not necessarily my employers.