HP3000-L Archives

November 2003, Week 1

From:
Michael Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:45:35 -0800
Alex Aved writes

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Aved [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 8:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: image database omnidex error msg

hello,
  We use a product called OMNIDEX to provide indexes on our Image
databases, and are running into an obscure error that we were wondering
if anybody has ran into it before.  Our production databases work fine,
but when we restore databases from our backup tape drives some of them
are giving us an "Undefined TPI error message 3940".  We haven't
determined if the problem is with our tape drive or something else yet,
but if anybody has ran into something like this before, we were
wondering if they might have found a quick solution (to open the
databases & retrieve data).  We've tried opening the "broken" databases
with a couple of different programs, including Omnidex's OMNIUTIL
program & all return that error # when opening the database.  (See
http://kirk.anderson.edu/~aaved/dn.jpg for an example).
  We've not tried replacing the database root file with that from one of
our production ones yet, & our next step is going to try to contact the
vender for support.  We just thought we'd query the community in case
others have ran into this (or if this looks like it might be a hardware
problem w/ our tape drives; depending on the backup tape, 1 or two out
of a half dozen or so databases will have this problem).
Error 940 (the leading 3 indicates it's an Omnidex error) is defined in
the file ODXERROR as "Omnidex rootfile is empty".  If you're going to
restore any file it would be the rootfile0A file, NOT the database
rootfile.  I would really just rebuild and repopulate your Omnidex
indexes for safety sake.

Mike Berkowitz
Guess? Inc.