UTCSTAFF Archives

November 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Matt Greenwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Greenwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:28:21 -0500
if we are required to make the move to 120 hours (which seems more
likely than not...), the most critical issue is clearly where those
hours come from. i agree with joe, and others who have stated the same,
that most departments, ours included, there aren't eight hours to give
up. yet somehow implicit in the debate thus far has been the assumption
that gen-ed and the university requirements are somehow sacred and
exempt from this cut. given that (at least a part of) the broader
context of all of this is to establish some parity between system
schools to facilitate transfer students, it seems logical to establish
that parity first and foremost in the gen-ed curricula (the most
commonly shared coursework among transfers), and that there, as well,
may be the most obvious place to find those eight hours.

while i appreciate (and even share) some of joe's concern about how
this may effect the quality or a liberal arts education, i also
remember that 6 or so years ago we had a gen-ed requirement that
amounted to 33 total hours, 7 less than the now required 40. add to
this the new university requirements which amount to 11 hours and we're
talking about a difference of 18 hours. i was not a part of the gen-ed
revision, and here i completely defer to those who know more about it
than i do...but i seem to remember that the good efforts of that
committee were driven not by a general and agreed upon sense that the
requirements needed changing, or (more specifically) that there needed
to be more hours, but rather by administrative mandate.

at the time of that change, many departments had to make some
cuts/adjustments to degree programs to find room for the additional
courses while still allowing for the possibility of a 4-year degree
(vs. 5). this, of course, makes it that much more difficult to now
embrace or absorb additional programmatic cuts. adding salt to the
wound is the fact that the university has yet to provide anything close
to the necessary funding or resources to adequately staff many of the
new and additional courses that must now be offered in order to meet
the new gen-ed/univ requirements (other posts regarding contingent
faculty speak more directly to this issue).

so here we are, looking at another mandate, this time legislative. i
don't pretend to know where best to find these 8 hours, but if forced
to compare the value of 8 hours within our own degree program and 8
hours from the sum total of 51 gen-ed/university requirements, i start
to think that 8 less from the second is more responsible that 8 hours
from the first.

matt greenwell
art

Begin forwarded message: