UTCSTAFF Archives

November 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Kristy Starks-Winn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 17:13:18 -0500
Dr. Hiestand,

I hope the implication behind your response is not that the contingent faculty member who does not feel he is amply compensated for his work does not enjoy teaching. I can assure you that, as a former adjunct and current full-time, non-tenure-track faculty member, I would not have taught here for the less-than-$1,300-per-course I was initially paid if I did not enjoy teaching a great deal. The problem is, a person cannot pay her bills with the pleasure she obtains from her work alone.

As one of the organizers of last week's Campus Equity Week events, I'm confident I can say our goal was not to whine about our pitiful lot here at the university, but instead to raise awareness of the exploitation of contingent faculty here and across the country. I hope an ongoing conversation about the issues here at UTC will lead to equity, not only in pay, but in other aspects of the job as well. Contingent faculty deserve to be treated as professionals, and should be valued for the contribution they make to the university, whether they have other full-time jobs or not.

Sincerely,