HP3000-L Archives

October 2003, Week 4

From:
Connie Sellitto <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sellitto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:19:09 -0400
My thoughts...

>Fred quotes:
>
>>   > "As to Jesus of Nazareth...I think the system of Morals and his
>>   > Religion, as
>>   > he left them to us, the best the World ever saw or is likely to see;
>>   > but I
>>   > apprehend it has received various corrupting Changes, and I have, with
>>   > most of the present Dissenters in England, some doubts as to his
>>   > divinity."
>>   > --Benjamin Franklin
>

>Erik quotes in response:
>
>>  Acts 4
>>   10   Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by
>>   the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised
>>   from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
>>   11   This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is
>>   become the head of the corner.
>>   12   Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other
>>   name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
>>   -- Simon Peter speaking to Annas the high priest, and Caiaphas, and
>>   John, and Alexander, and as many as were of the kindred of the high
>>   priest, were gathered together at Jerusalem.
>

>To which I might add:
>
>"Man once surrendering his reason [to religious influence], has no remaining
>guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder,
>is the sport of every wind."
>
>-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.
>
><snip>
>
>Wirt Atmar

Interesting, this is similar to what Jude (the apostle) says about
NON-believers, see Jude , verse 12 (latter part) plus verse 13:
'clouds they are without water, carried about of winds... <snip>
wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness
forever. '

Thank you, Erik - for your posting.
Connie

--