HP3000-L Archives

October 2003, Week 4

From:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:31:56 -0500
IMHO: It's been 10 years or more THAT HP has been sending second rate
HP-UX guys to service our HP3000/M.P.E. machines. So, in 2000/2001 I
switched to Beechglen for OS software support, and Surety Systems for
hardware support.

Prior to that time, when I used HP Support, when I would place a call
to HP for hardware support for the HP3000 (not printers) I would get the
ref number, then call an old friend (Joe) who is a HP CE, who had
specialized on the HP3000. He would then assign himself to the call by
the ref number. That was the only way I got decent support, to know
someone on the inside. I was always glad to see Joe on the job, he is
one of the best, from the days of the Old 'HP Way'.

--
Michael Anderson
Spring Independent School District

>>> Joe Dolliver <[log in to unmask]> 10/23/03 08:03AM >>>
I don't agree with your assessment at all. In many cases the HP3000
has
always been the last to be upgradable to the latest "whats available"
hardware
like direct connect fiber channel without a switch is new on 7.5 but
has been
available on HP-UX for a long time. Firmware upgrades scare me the most
since
we have to rely on HP customer engineers that may or may not be HP3000
savy.
In my experience in the last few years HP has dumped most of the
HP3000
engineers or have made them so scarce that it is impossible to get
one.

As a quick pole I would bet that in every state in the U.S. that
HP3000
customers in the majority do not see the same Customer Engineer when
needed.
What they get is a second rate HP-UX guy that thinks he is the best
thing
since sliced bread.

As for our system "we are still in the same boat" Down and sinking. In
the
old dats HP would stay on-site until the system was up and running and
would
have parts flown in if needed. In out case HP is still floundering
around
with no answer on the fix.

Signed

Down and out

If HP staff are listening then maybe they should comment.
>  Don't have any idea what is your problem but in some HP devices
telling
> them it is a HP-UX box works okay even if its a MPE box...
>
> Joseph Dolliver wrote:
> > I have been working with my client in Indiana since Friday.
> >
> > The story goes, HP wanted to make a firmware change to the fiber
drives.
> > Hmmm I Thought, How did HP get access to the box or did something
go wrong
> > earlier.
> > No to both cases.
> > We had a failure on the fiber channel switch earlier in the month
and
> > My guess is that HP had made recommendations to update the firmware
at that
> > time.
> >
> > What I have learned is that the HP tech was not an HP3000 person
but guess
> > HP-UX.
> > Well the firmware upgrade did not sit well on the HP3000 since it
was
> > thought to be an HP-UX box by the engineer. Since Monday the system
has been
> > down for a total of 10 "business" hours or 2 hrs late on Monday and
all day
> > today. No we are not up yet.
> >
> > Also the
> > Fiber-optic cable from the fc entry switch 8B, port 1, was twisted
too

> > tight and broke. HP recommended a replacement of the fiber cable
ASAP. No