HP3000-L Archives

October 2003, Week 4

From:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:21:55 -0800
I, too, have known many excellent and dedicated school administrators, and in no way did I mean to imply that all of them are stupid.  I am only saying that when something like this appears in the news, stupidity is behind it.  Yes, I realize that the threat of lawsuits is a very persuasive incentive, but a school administrator who lacks the courage to resist the urge to persecute a student who is guilty of no wrongdoing does not deserve his/her position.

I'm sure many of us remember the incident a few years ago when a girl opened her lunch and found a butter knife her mother had enclosed so she could use it to eat her lunch.  The girl, knowing knives were forbidden at the school immediately turned it in to her teacher.  She was suspended from school for several days for violating the rule.  Clearly this was a student who was punished for trying to comply with the rules!  If she had kept her mouth shut, she would not have received any punishment.  This is another example of a "zero tolerance" policy becoming a "zero intelligence" policy.  Definitely a stupid administrator, in my opinion.