HP3000-L Archives

October 2003, Week 4

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:19:05 -0700
INETD appears to be working the way it is supposed to in this case:

1) Modifying JINETD to run INETD.NET.SYS with INFO="-l" is the correct way to
have INETD start up with logging enabled.

2) If INETD.NET.SYS;INFO="-l" is run while JINETD is still running, the logging
flag gets toggled within the already running JINETD.

You need to make your backup job smarter to only stream JINETD if JINETD is not
already running.

AFAIK there is no way to determine the state of the logging flag without
examining the entire JINETD $STDLIST looking for the state changes.

- Mark B.

Tracy Pierce wrote:
> (Running MPE/iX 6.0 pp2,) I start up inetd like this:
>
> !job jinetd, manager.sys;outclass=lp,1
> !comment the config file is /etc/inetd.conf or INETDCNF.NET.SYS
> !comment
> !comment some ways to interact with inetd (requires SM)...
> !comment  run inetd.net.sys;info="-k"
> !comment  where -k=kill; -c=config-file re-read; -l=logging(toggle)
> !
> !run inetd.net.sys;PRI=CS;info="-l"
> !CONTINUE
> !showjcw
> !CONTINUE
> !setvar mycierror cierror
> !tell tracy,manager.sys inetd exiting with cierror !mycierror
> !IF mycierror <= 0
> ! SET STDLIST=DELETE
> !endif
> !eoj
>
> I thought I was turning on connection logging by including the -l, but nooo,
> issuing a subsequent interactive inetd.net -l causes a 'logging enabled'
> message to appear, so I have to assume that the initial with-parm invocation
> doesn't turn it on.
>
> Anyway, I need a smarter jobstream, so I'm hoping somebody's already written
> it.
>
> (redface, I just realized that while leaving jinetd running during the
> backup works great,  making sure it's up by streaming this jinetd again is
> toggling the logging, not exactly what I want.)
>
> Is there a way to determine the present state of logging?  (other than
> looking at the stdlist back-to-front?)  Or maybe there's a way to turn it on
> via the config file?
>
> Tracy Pierce

Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve expensive California electrons...