HP3000-L Archives

October 2003, Week 4

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:56:51 -0600
CNET News.com's Charles Cooper says Carly Fiorina's recent explanation
of Adaptive Enterprise was enough to reduce even the most hardened
McKinsey consultant to a state of dribbling catatonia.
http://news.com.com/2010-7343_3-5095250.html

There sat Carly Fiorina, Hewlett-Packard's great communicator,
struggling to directly answer an interviewer's request for a crisp
definition of the company's "Adaptive Enterprise" strategy.

First it was an "end state." Then it was an "approach." Then it
was--well, it was everything under the sun, moon and the stars--enough
business-babble to reduce even the most hardened McKinsey consultant
to a state of dribbling catatonia.

Eventually Fiorina, who was speaking at a Gartner conference earlier
this week, allowed that some confusion had emerged since HP took the
wraps off its brainstorm last May. Glutton for punishment that I am, I
decided to surf the company's Web site and see whether I could find a
sharper definition. Here's some of what I learned:

Did you know that HP's "collaborative approach is tailored to a
customer's ecosystem to create adaptive infrastructures that use
leading software products and architectures and leverage HP's own
expertise in the creation of adaptive infrastructures?"

I suppose that's a good thing--though it beats me what they're
jabbering about. Still, the description rates as a perfect paragon of
clarity compared with the following:

"The HP Adaptive Infrastructure approach helps companies to
synchronize their IT resources, processes and infrastructure with
business strategies. This approach enables business to reduce the cost
of change, reduce total cost of ownership, simplify management
complexity and provide the enterprise with the ability to rapidly
implement solutions that provide a competitive advantage. With an HP
Adaptive Infrastructure, IT can rapidly adjust to the changes needed
by the corporation to meet new business initiatives and
opportunities."

Enjoy,

  _______________
 |            r  |  Alfredo                     [log in to unmask]
 |          e    |                           http://www.adager.com
 |        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego
 |      a        |  Manager, R & D Labs
 |    d          |  Adager Corporation
 |  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.