HP3000-L Archives

October 2003, Week 1

From:
"Ron J. Frenken" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron J. Frenken
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 10:22:06 -0500
Hi Jay,

You could look at some Pocket PC based PDA's, these would probably be the
least expensive option.  Adding a good protective case would help.  If you
need something more indestructible, you can look at the handhelds from
Psion, Symbol, etc. that are rated for 5 ft. drops to concrete.  Some of
these run DOS.

If you application won't run on these small screens, you could look at a
tablet PC with a protective case.  Since the user can use the machine in the
case, it should stand up better than a standard PC.

I haven't seen any devices that combine the printer, but some of the
handhelds will work with the portable printers through wireless or infrared
ports.  They could then hang the printer on their belt.

HTH,

Ron Frenken
Manager, Software Services
Orion Group Software Engineers