HP3000-L Archives

October 2003, Week 1

From:
Alan Yeo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 14:01:51 -0500
 In article <[log in to unmask]>, Wirt Atmar
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Charles writes:
>
>> If this is true, it is inconceivable to me that this could ever be a serious
>>  problem.  FTP clients and servers that run on Microsoft OS's (or UNIX or
>>  Linux for that matter) seem to be about as pervasive as SPAM.  Even if
>>  Microsoft were to do this, one could simply choose from the myriad of open
>>  source and/or free clients and servers.  What am I missing?  There must be
>>  some subtle aspect of this that I'm not seeing.
>
>Halloween.
>
>Wirt Atmar

As I may be guilty of the "rumour" surfacing in the UK, I'd better
interject at this point and declare the source. I believe it was in
either the Customer Needs Panel, or the OpenMPE session at HP World that
someone raised the issue that Microsoft are apparently going to extend
the FTP protocol. And I believe the question was asked would that sort
of change be accommodated under HP's ongoing support of MPE. I believe
the answer was probably not.

Now I suspect that there are others who may be able to give a better
report of the question/answer from HP World.

I think problem being foreseen is are we likely to see future MS
software that won't be able to FTP to the HP3000, or action FTP requests
from, where previous versions have. As someone previously mentioned, the
Windows GUI FTP process has never been able to work with an HP 3000
correctly, but the command line FTP has always worked if you get the
syntax right, and have the correct patches on the HP3000.

Alan
--
Alan Yeo
[log in to unmask]    Just because you're paranoid