UTCSTAFF Archives

October 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Joe Dumas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Dumas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 11:31:36 -0400

Jonathan Looney wrote:

 > Is it just me, or was that last comment completely uncalled for?

I don't think she meant any offense by it.  Perhaps Alice could have put
it more delicately, but let's face it, how many years go by for one
player like Terrell Owens to make it big in the NFL?  Meanwhile the
other players must find some other way to make a living when they finish
their playing days and (hopefully) graduate.  Suggesting that it is a
good idea for the players to go to class (which tends to be rather
helpful in achieving that eventual graduation) hardly seems like a
radical proposal.

The real question, in my view, is:  how many losses will it take, how
much taxpayer money will have to be spent, how many spectators will have
to stay away, how many more discipline problems will land players in
court, and yes, how many classes will have to be cut, before our
administration realizes the folly of continuing UTC's unsuccessful
football program and follows the example of ETSU in scrapping the sport?