SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2003

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 20:36:22 -0400
Michael Doelle wrote:

Lee said:

MtW>When the earliest dictionaries were compiled, the authors went to great
lenghts to research the usage of words. And that is what they still do
today. Dictionaries are reprinted because *usage* changes, not because
nything needs to be redefined, after all, the original meanings haven't
become incorrect. And of course because new words appear.

Lee>There's no practical difference between a change in usage and a change
in definition.<

There's a world of difference. Which was my point when I stated that
dictionaries did not define words. Which they clearly don't. The meaning of
words is 'defined' by those who use the language. Dictionaries are records
of usage.

No, there is not, which was my point when I said I look in a dictionary for
definitions.

From my dictionary:
Definition - The formal statement of the meaning or significance of a word,
phrase, etc.

When the meaning changes, the definition changes.  There is no practical
difference between a change in usage and a change in definition.