SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2003

From:
Michael Doelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 10:25:29 -0400
Hai Brad,

>Yes!!! I most definitely am ready!!! But, you're joking about the island
disease pills, right? I've never come across any mention of diseases. I
guess there are mosquitoes and noseeums that can be bad in areas, but to my
knowledge there are no diseases. Your joke made me do a search for yellow
fever + florida keys, and I just learned that the last documented case of
yellow fever was in 1918. ...You are joking, right? :-))<

Uhh, no, wasn't joking. Island desease is a mental thing. Not everyone can
tolerate living on an isolated piece of land for  a long time. Ask anyone
who's been a dive instructor in the Maldives or a similar place for a year
or so. I've noticed bouts of 'island desease' while working as a skiing
instructor for as little as 3 months in a little valley. City people suffer
from withdrawel symptoms quickly. If you decide to move to such a remote
place, you might also be a candidate for a Mars mission. Since you've given
this a lot of thought, you are probably the right person for the job.

Wish you all the luck,

Michael