SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2003

From:
Viv Matson-Larkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 11:34:42 -0400
From my local news list.
Diver hunting for Loch Ness monster
From correspondents in Edinburgh

A FORMER leukaemia victim who hit headlines by taking part in several
above-ground marathon races clad in a heavy diving suit has taken his
charity quest to the bottom of Loch Ness, with hopes for an encounter with
the lake's most famous denizen.

"If I do meet Nessie, I'm not sure who will be more scared, the monster or
myself," said 41-year-old Lloyd Scott before sliding into the dark waters
of the Scottish loch at the start of a charity event which will see him
walk all the way around its edges underwater.

Scott, who in recent years has taken part in the marathons of London, New
York and Edinburgh clad in his 80kg deep-water diving suit - exploits
which set new standards for the longest times ever recorded in those
races - is embarking on his latest endurance feat to coincide with a
marathon around Loch Ness.

Aiming to raise money for a charity that helps children suffering from
leukaemia - of which he himself was cured - he is to make a series of
dives each day during which he will trudge along the lake bottom, fed by
air from helpers in a boat above. He hopes to cover some 5km per day.

More than the darkness of the lake waters and the hard work of walking in
his heavy gear, it was the possibility of encountering the legendary
monster which was uppermost in Scott's mind.

He even refused to rule out a collision with the giant beast, which has
sustained a lively tourist industry around Loch Ness for years, even
though no scientific proof of its actual existence has even been found.

"I've been told the big copper helmet could give quite a big headbutt to
the monster, so it will be quite nice to make his acquaintance," he said,
referring to the heavy headpiece of his diving suit. END