HP3000-L Archives

September 2003, Week 5

From:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 07:29:11 -0500
At 08:08 AM 9/30/2003 -0400, Brice Yokem wrote:
>Learned that since the Bridger Nat'l Forest was established, there has been
>1 death due to bear, and 117 deaths due to moose.  Seems people have been
>sensitized quite well about bear/grizzly, but don't realize that a moose can
>be just as dangerous and will charge if they feel you're encroaching too
>close.
>And that's a 1,200-1,500 lb animal that can run fast (like a horse) and
>whose
>means of defense is to lower its head and ram....
>
>---------------------
>
>I woudl guess there are more moose then bear, also.  So it is more likely
>to encounter one.

I don't know what the population estimates are, but based upon our back country
experiences we saw many more signs of bear than moose and we were in the
high country (9,000+) east of Parkdale, WY.  Also saw signs of only one
mountain
lion (tracks in a low, wet muddy area), but they are more difficult to
spot. The only
moose we did see in the wilderness was a dead one that the bears had been
feeding
on for about a week.  We did see several others in the Tetons and obviously in
Yellowstone.  Also, it's the southern end of the range, near and south of
the Big Sandy
area that is more noted for having a lot of bear according to the back
country ranger staff.