HP3000-L Archives

September 2003, Week 4

From:
David N Lukenbill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David N Lukenbill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:13:02 -0400
Donna (donna)

Hopefully, procurement geared-up.  I'd been trying to convince them to
upgrade since the EOL announcement.  It wasn't until they started looking
at a large increase in workload that it finally sank in.  Of course, they
now want configuration and cost information by tomorrow afternoon.  The
main problem I'm having at this point is getting vendors and 3rd pary
software suppliers to return phone calls.

You're running a VA7100 through SCSI, right?

Currently, I figure I have at most 60Mb/Sec through the three SCSI
channels.  Glance/iX and the Lund tools aren't indicating too much of a
disk bottleneck - that I'm able to notice.  There are times when the disks
get utilized pretty heavily, but not too often.  I was thinking that going
with a native FC connection and faster drives would probably help also.

Is it still the case that MPE can't make use of dual controllers?

David

David N Lukenbill wrote:

> I'm looking into the option of replacing a series 969 with an n-class
box.

hope you've got procurement geared up! :-)

> Currently, I'm running three volume sets: SYS (16Gb), Production (50Gb),
> and Development (16Gb).  These are on the internal drives, and two HASS
> units.  In general, disk throughput hasn't been much of a problem.

that you've been able to notice....

> I'm looking at my options on protecting the SYS and production volume
sets
> through some type of redundancy.  I don't care if the development volume
> set is down while a drive is replaced.  I'm considering a combination of
> VA7110 and DS2xxx.  Does a VA7110 allow both the SYS and production
volume
> sets to reside in the same device?
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation on what to purchase, and how to setup?

absolutely go with a va!  with fibre channel!  it's way cool (although a
whole
new world for traditional mpe'rs) and way fast.  yes, you can put your
whole
system -- both system and data volumes -- on the va.  *if* you are going to
use autorestart (and perhaps autoboot), do get an internal drive.  put this
drive in it's own volume and put the 'diskdump' (telesup) group on that
drive/volume.  there seems to be an issue with the system being able to
find
the array when operating at such a low level.  (and donna is not a happy
camper regarding this!)  other than this little gotcha, the new hardware
coupled with the va is the way to go.

(i should add, i don't know anything about the new disc storage....it may
be
(probably is) way cool too....)             - d

--
Donna Garverick     Sr. System Programmer

Come, my friends, 'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.
"Ulysses", A. Tennyson