HP3000-L Archives

September 2003, Week 4

From:
"Wayne R. Boyer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:10:03 EDT
In a message dated 9/18/03 1:26:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> It would seem to me that 'Project Management' skills, and the background
> that they carry,
> would be somewhat universal.  Platform skills are platform dependent.  If
> I were looking, I
> would focus my resume on the universal skill set rather than platform
> dependencies.

While I completely agree that universal skills are more important that
specific platform skills, many people in positions of authority with regard to the
hiring of either consultants or full time employees are specifying platform
specific skills, experience, and certifications.

I am adapting to their requested laundry list of items even though I disagree
that some of these items are important.

As an example, how many people on HP3000L (which is full of heavy duty
experienced people) can fulfill a job requirement list that includes: "MCSE, CCNA"?

I suspect that the answer is not many.  What happens when the job
requirements get beefed up to read: "MCSE, MCSD, CCNP" and whatever the code is for some
Oracle cert.?

Wondering Wayne