HP3000-L Archives

September 2003, Week 4

From:
James Hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:33:41 -0700
Hello d0nna, et all @ 3000-l,

RE: using fcontrol?

In a past life (MPE/V, ADCC, ATP & S/64) as a SPL programmer... I wrote code which did a FWRITE to a message file and used the FCONTROL 6 to assure the data was posted to disk:

        FWRITE(STOR3000,IMECDATAIN,RECSIZE,%0);
        IF <> THEN
          BEGIN
          PRINTFILEINFO(STOR3000);
          ERROR'MSG(99,TERMINATE);
          END;
      FCONTROL(STOR3000,6,WRITEEOF);

This code is 1984 vintage... but I hear it is still running...  The notes I have for FCONTROL 6 are:

If used for message files, it verifies the state of the file by writing the file label and buffer area to disk; ensures the message file can survive system crashes. No EOF is written.

The docs.hp.com says "No EOF is written", but I seem to recollect that 18 years ago the EOF (as displayed with LISTF) was accurate following a FCONTROL 6.

That is my story, I hope it helps!

Regards,

James Hofmeister
Email: <first>.<last>@hp.com
Hewlett Packard - Global Solutions Engineering (WTEC)
P.S. My Ideals are my own, not necessarily my employers.