HP3000-L Archives

September 2003, Week 4

From:
"Atwood, Tim (DVM)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Atwood, Tim (DVM)
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:31:03 -0700
I've done a fair amount of silviculture in the forests up here. Bears are
always a problem.

I can say from personal experience mace will stop a black bear with cubs.
Stopped one mother who came after me in her tracks.

I'm not sure about a Grizzly. A lot bigger and meaner. By the time a grizzly
was close enough for you to mace it's momentum and anger would probably
still do a lot of damage to you.

Let's be clear here: I am talking about mace designed for bears. Not the
little things people carry in purses. Up here they are only legal for people
who can prove they work in bear areas. The can is closer to the size of a
paint spray can. You wear it in a holster on your belt. They have a special
nozzle that shoots the mace up to 10 meters so you can hopefully stop the
bear before it gets to you. Believe me it is still pretty hard to hit a fast
moving bear right in the eyes. But at least you have a chance.

I doubt a little personal mace can would deliver enough to stop even a black
bear. Plus those personal protection ones are designed to spray something
close to you. A mother bear that close to you would have already taken at
last one good swipe with her claws