HP3000-L Archives

September 2003, Week 3

From:
Chuck Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:05:02 -0500
Last night all my automated FTP's started failing with an invalid host
error. No changes had been made to the HP or the DNS server and we could
not explain why every server lookup now returned an IP address of
64.94.110.11.

To make a long story short, my RSLVCNF file had a SEARCH line that
specified 2 domains. The first domain has since be abandoned and all my
local servers are in the second domain. I neglected to remove the old
domain when it was no longer in use and so my system has been failing on
the initial lookup and then rolling over to the second domain listed to
find the server.

Enter VeriSign and their new Site Finder that now does not fail an
invalid name lookup but instead redirects you to their own IP address of
64.94.110.11 so they can feed you a list of links that they, and their
advertisor's, would like you to visit.

So if you have a process, like some spam blocker or mail server filter,
that depends on checking for a valid domain name you might want to
verify that that process still works as intended.

Comments are my own, not my employer's... Etc.