HP3000-L Archives

September 2003, Week 3

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:46:03 -0700
John writes:
> This morning I received over 100 unsolicited emails containing
> executable files.

Over 600 here so far and continuing at about 2 per minute presently.  I'm
the only one here getting them in large volume it seems.

My guess is that it's scavenging addresses from local caches of Usenet
messages.

> 1.  Filtering software to block emails that carry .exe files?

Any version of Outlook from the last year or so will refuse to let the user
access .EXE (and similar) attachments and so should be completely immune
(apart from having to look at 12MB/hour of these things in your inbox).

G.