HP3000-L Archives

September 2003, Week 2

From:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:11:22 -0700
Paul Edwards wrote:

> Solution:
>   1. Make sure you have a good current full backup and CSLT. A CSLT *should*
> be done at least twice monthly during the full backup cycle. Make sure you
> use DIRECTORY on your STORE command and, to be safe, run BULDACCT.PUB.SYS
> prior to each backup. Run VSTORE.PUB.SYS against all your backups to verify
> the quality of the media and run CHECKSLT.MPEXL.TELESUP to verify your CSLT
> each time. If you can run these on different DDS drives, that will provide
> an additional verification.

preach it, brother!  i can't stress this enough.  you have *got* to know that
you're getting a good backup and producing a viable cslt.  if you are unfamiliar
with any of the above mentioned programs -- ask!

>   2. Have a PC available with an inexpensive SCSI card in it. I have an
> Adaptec 2930 PCI card. After setting the proper SCSI address and connecting
> the drive, power up the PC and use the SCSI utilities to format the drive.
> Adaptec uses Cntl-A during bootup to access their utilities. The format took
> about 3 hours for each drive. CAUTION: Never use FORMATVOL in VOLUTIL
> because it will never work or finish in your lifetime.

yep!  just say no to formatvol!  just don't go there....

> Be aware of the
> Terminator jumpers on the drives and set them correctly. Mine were missing,
> so I used the ones from the old drives. It really helped to download the
> installation instructions from the Seagate web site for the drives.

yup!  bookmarking seagate's site is a good idea.  now -- this is probably a
donna-only problem (:-) but i had a devil of a time trying to figure out how to
properly set the jumpers.  i couldn't determine from seagate's picture what way
was *up* on the drive....  of course, if this isn't a donna-only problem, and it
doesn't work one way, flip the drive over and re-jump it and try it again (it is
a binary problem :-)

>   4. Use the Checklist J in the MPE software Maintenance Manual for the
> Install. Follow the directions very carefully.

he did say *very* folks!!

>   5. After the initial startup, Logon as MANAGER.SYS at the console. Using
> DSTAT ALL, LDEV 2 showed being in an UNKNOWN state. Use debug as follows
> with n being the drive LDEV (2 in my case):
>       Debug
>       >msec #n.0,8
>       >msec #n.100,40
>       >exit
> There will be a lot of prompts for each line and enter zero to each one.
> This resets the drive header information.

wouldn't 'scratchvol' have accomplished the same thing?  i'm pretty sure i've
had drives in an 'unknown' state and didn't have to resort to using debug.....

>  Sorry if anyone is disappointed this doesn't concern politics or religion.
> But, you'll get over it.

<hrump>              - d

--
Donna Garverick     Sr. System Programmer

Come, my friends, 'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.
"Ulysses", A. Tennyson