HP3000-L Archives

September 2003, Week 1

From:
Janie Shuman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janie Shuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 12:02:29 -0400
We download a file of students from our Image database into EXCEL and from
this file send emails.  Many of these emails are rejected for bad
addresses.  We are trying to find a cost and time-efficient way of deleting
the addresses from the database.  Is there a way to have rejected addresses
feed into a file?  I was told that you can purchase software for this task,
but that it is very expensive.

At present they are printing the returned ones, using a "find" command in
the EXCEL file, coding them to be deleted in the EXCEL file, and then
looking them up on a screen that accesses the IMAGE database in order to
delete them.  For various reasons, we need to find a better way.  I The
EXCEL file allows only 1 person at a time, and the data entry people are
not accustomed to EXCEL.  They are more comfortable with their usual
screens which access the Image database.  I explained that I could transfer
the EXCEL file to the HP, and automatically delete the records from the
database.  But they've asked for a screen on which to look them up using
just the email address, which isn't a key.  And they'd like to be able to
use only part of the email address if possible.  Presently we only have key
lookups on our screens, and I'm not sure how to do this.

If I could just get the rejected email addresses in a file, I'd be able to
automate the solution entirely.

Anyone have any ideas or knowledge of resources for this issue?

THANKS!