HP3000-L Archives

September 2003, Week 1

From:
Brice Yokem <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brice Yokem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 10:51:52 -0400
In theory.  But government doesn't actually seem to be able to realize
any economies of scale.  If 100 people pay the government $100 each for
roads, the government will waste most of it, and spend far less than
$10,000 for roads.  If we just took up a collection among ourselves and
hired a paving contractor, we'd be far better off.

-------------

True, but then there has to be oversight, and what to do about the people
who renige on paying their share, etc.  This is where some of the 'waste'
goes.  Of course some of the 'waste' is really waste, money wasted on
political stuff.

--------------

I don't have the numbers handy, but the inherited rich (the Kennedys,
for example) are actually a small minority.  Most of the wealthiest 2%
are business owners; some had a leg up by starting from relatively
comfortable circumstances, but enough came from 'middle class' or
poverty to show that there is great mobility between classes in this
country.

---------------

Bill Gates.....

---------------

I think a legitimate question here is what should we tax -- assets,
income, consumption?  I think the current focus on income really
unfairly hits the people trying to move from 'middle class' to 'wealthy'
- people that may have high incomes, but very few assets.  Makes it hard
to save for a down payment on a house when the government is taking more
of your money, simply because you don't (yet) have a mortgage deduction.
  Money that you could be saving to help you through a rough spot is
taken in taxes, so that if you become unemployed or unable to work, you
have none of your own resources to fall back on but must depend on the
government.  Which is exactly what they want, because that dependency
keeps them in power.

My basis for this is based upon the need for government to be involved
with the matter.  Property needs police and fire protection, so that
is the reason for the tax.  Income requires a court system to make sure
people get paid and contracts enforced, thus a tax on incomes.

This concept has become politicized so badly, it has turned into a tax
on whatever people will tolerate.

The income tax was originally only supposed to apply to the fat cats, but
with WWII, it was used to finance the war effort, and then did not go away
after the war was won.