HP3000-L Archives

September 2003, Week 1

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 16:19:11 -0600
At 1:45 PM -0700 9/2/2003, Emerson, Tom wrote:

>What, no accounting for leap years? (i.e., 365.25 days/year)
>
>Addmittedly, however, 1 millionth of 25 (24?*) days won't affect the outcome much -- even a simple 4-banger points out this ends up being .036 minutes -- far less time than it took to write this reply :)
>
>Tom
>
>(*) actually, 365.25 understates this by a small margin, but now we're getting down into the noise ;)

Excellent points.  I can see the rocket scientist at work here (and I
use "rocket" advisedly -- as some of you who know about Tom's extra-
curricular activities can attest :-)

Ahem...  Notice my "a little over 52 minutes" management-like
"gloss" over the minor technical details (i.e., I decided to stay
at the "fifty-some-minutes level" rather than using a finer-grained
division of time for a wide-brush lecturing guideline :-)

Along these lines, you may have noticed that most people tend
to think of mathematics as "dealing with equalities".  I prefer
to fancy mathematics as "also having a great deal to do with
INequalities".  As an example, consider geometry (with Euclidean
space having "zero curvature -- or curvature EQUAL to zero",
hyperbolic space having "negative curvature -- or LESS-THAN-zero
curvature", and so on).

Notice that I took Tom's "OT" tag off because this is VERY
on-topic for hp3000-L, given that MPE-IMAGE is much better than
other OLTP "solutions" out there in spaceland --and given that my
original post mentioned the SigIMAGE meeting specifically :-)

Always having more fun than I should be authorized (by some
management edict) to have,

  _______________
 |            r  |  Alfredo                     [log in to unmask]
 |          e    |                           http://www.adager.com
 |        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego
 |      a        |  Manager, R & D Labs
 |    d          |  Adager Corporation
 |  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.