UTCSTAFF Archives

September 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Donna Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 12:09:42 -0400
Julia Cronin is right.  It gets to the point of ridiculous when it comes to
the salaries of support staff.  Of course, at one time I can remember we
were told that we can always leave, which is true, that the benefits are
great and that many people stay for the benefits.  Its hard to eat benefits
at the dinner table.  Even after many years of working its hard to see any
change in salary so we can just throw those years away and start over? Many
of us work extra, many of us are working hard to get a degree, or an
upgrade, or pass the CPS so we can just get a raise.  When a friend of mine
found out what I made after 13 years of work, she almost flipped out.  She
couldn't believe it.

Julia also said we can let our campus community know that we are aware of
what is happening and remind them that we also make a contribution to its
well being.  That's great and that's true -But I think it might take the
newspapers, television, staff banding together at personnel ofc., holding up
signs and walking, organized labor, etc., --- going by past years, I cannot
see anyone doing anything about it.  I think we are just snookered, again,
and again.

As a friend of mine just told me, there is Authority In Numbers.  So, be
there today Support Staff.

Personal opinion:
For staff:  nothing will be done unless we really take some kind of action -
or as we are told, we can leave and go somewhere else.
For Faculty:  Where in the world would you guys leave?  Your up a tree,
unless you moved.

Donna