UTCSTAFF Archives

September 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Mary Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 12:06:08 -0700
To Staff:

I too have to agree with comments shared by Virginia Cole and Donna Adams
about the Personnel Department's lack of support for the academic staff
members. I have been with UTC over 7 years and my supervisor's strong
approval to upgrade my position has denied even though we are asked each
year to take on more IRIS responsibilities that were previously handled by
higher level positions.  Each year we are asked to update our PDQ's and add
all the new  IRIS responsibilities we are handling which the Personnel
Department then reviews and then they are stuck in some file drawer. What
is the point of even doing a PDQ if we have no resource to obtain a higher
lever position?

I think that is a great idea about having Staff Meetings and having our own
e-mail address.  I worked for Digital Equipment Corporation in Mass. for a
number of years and the staff had their own e-mail address and we had our
own Staff Meetings.  Its great way to share and provide support for staff
members within the staff organization
who are sitting alone in their office trying to learn new IRIS procedures.
II feel the academic staff has a voice and its time that we are heard.

I too do not begrudge others from getting pay raises for the hard work they
do.  I  just would like to see some representation for the Academic Staff
within the Personnel Department.  I don't feel we are supported or taken
seriously by Personnel.   I encourage all staff members to attend the
Budget Meeting on Thursday, at 1:30 in Fletcher 100 and let our voice be heard.

Thank you.

Administrative Assistant
Political Science, DEPT. 6356
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
615 McCallie Avenue
Chattanooga, TN 37403-2598
423/425-4281
FAX: 423/425-2373