SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2003

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:53:06 +1000
On Saturday, September 27, 2003 8:24 AM, Mika wrote:

(snip)
> All depentz on zhe sorghum stenches. I remember - no, I wasn't there, but
> remember reading 'bout it - zat afta zhe war zhe bishop of Cologne vent
> puplick ant deklaret zhat zhe stealing off coal waz considert ethikell by
> da church.

That reminds me of the little known fact that coal was behind the overthrow
of the French monarchy.
Few people appreciate that coal was, in those days, owned by the crown and
that the population at large relied on timber to cook their food.  When told
that all of the immediate forests in the vicinity had been destroyed and
that the death rate was rising because the population at large were cold and
starving, Marie Antoinette threw open the doors to the Royal coal cellar and
said, "Let them heat coke!"  Regrettably the retainer that she said this to
was deaf!   He mistook her philanthropic gesture for an insult, and reported
to the mob that she'd said, "Let them eat cake!"  Which, of course led to
her being cut down to size on the guillotine!  :-))

Strike