SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2003

From:
Michael Doelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:20:58 -0400
Lee said:

>I get it.  What you don't seem to understand is that, unless you like what
you have described, that culture has to change and to do that, it needs
both
the means, in the form of education and financial support, and the
incentive, in the form of consequences for continuing to break the rules
established for society to function.<

[...the means ...]
And the industrialized countries continue to make this as difficult as
possible. The recent failure of the Cancun talks was a wonderful example of
'do as we say, not as we do' directed at the developing countries. Which
usually means 'open up your markets for all our products (But we will make
sure you can only export the raw materials that we need)'.

Both the US and the EU do a great job of destroying agricultural societies
in the 3rd world. Highly subsidized corn is dumped on the Mexican market,
for example. The local farmers produce at twice that cost, cannot sell what
they grow, pack up and head North. Nope, it isn't their local "laws" that
need to be changed to give them a decent chance.